School History

There has been a whole lot of learning going on in Heavitree for hundreds of years, but the school’s history began over 140 years ago when, on 29th September 1871, a new school for boys was opened.

Records state that ‘the new building, situated on high ground, overlooked the village of Heavitree’. 

In 1875, a girls' school was opened next to the boys' school. All children stayed at school until they were eleven years old. The School House (now the dentist) used to be two houses – one side for the Headmaster of the boys’ school, with the other side occupied by the Headmistress of the girls’ school.

In 1937, the two schools were modernised and remodelled into one building and named Heavitree Mixed and Infants School. In 1968 the school hall, kitchen and Year 4 classrooms were added.

In 1975, the school name was changed to Heavitree Middle School after reorganisation of education in Exeter.

In 1996, the Year 7 block was opened, and in 1997 the school changed its name to St. Michael’s Church of England Middle School. The school has always been a Church School linked to St. Michael’s Parish Church in Heavitree, and was founded to provide a Christian education for the children in the parish.

In 1998, the Year 6 classroom block was built to replace old classrooms.

In September 2005, St. Michael’s became a primary school for children aged 5 – 11, with a block of 3 classrooms refurbished for the younger children.

In September 2006, St Michael’s moved into the current brand-new building as St Michael’s Church of England (VA) Primary School.

On 1st September 2013, the school became an academy, and as such a ‘new’ school; and became known as St Michael’s Church of England Primary Academy.

So much has happened in the past – but our eyes are firmly fixed on the future, building on the excellence demonstrated in all areas.